Some quick tips to get your web site search engine ready.
1. Don’t waste any time and get those meta tags installed into your header tag. There are many more meta tag options but these will help get you started.
META name=”description” content=”two sentences about your web site page”
META name=”keywords” content=”10-20 keywords seperated by commas”
2. It’s good to change the title on every page in your site and instead of adding SEO Company – Contact Us as your title, try using something more suited like SEO Company – Contacting SEO Company or SEO Company – How to Contact SEO Company.
3. Use h1 and h2 tags. Search engines read the header tags as relevant and important information about your site. Using descriptive titles on your articles is a great idea too.
4. Add “alt” tags to your images. While many SEO “experts” say that it’s a waste of time, I’m telling you it’s a wise decision. Reason: If someone is searching for an image they may come to your site. There are some other reasoning behind this which I point out further in my book.
5. Add some relevant links back to your site. Now I don’t promote link farming, but having some links from web sites that talk about the same information as your web site, could be beneficial to your ranking.
Now go out and list your web site with search engines. You will usually get crawled without doing this, but it does feel better knowing exactly when you submitted your crawl request to the big search engines. It’s estimated to take about 2 weeks for your web site to get listed on search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN.
These are the most useful quick start tips for getting your site listed with search engines. You can post questions in the comments section.